William Arthur Barnes M.A.
(1839 - 1912)
Secretary of Headfort Lodge from 1872 to 1912 (40 years)

William A. Barnes, M.A., J.P., was Professor of Agriculture at Trinity College, Dublin. He also ran the family farm at Westlands, Moynalty, Co. Meath. He won a prize for the farm in 1894.
He is one of the three names on the Warrant of Headfort Lodge - 244, also Lough Crew Lodge - 252. He was a member of Bailieborough Lodge - 796 when he was a founder of Lodge 244.

He was also a signatory of a lease of a house in Kells in 1881, the Masonic Hall in Kells. The lease was from Thomas Taylour, Marquis of Headfort, to the Headfort Masonic Lodge, dated 5th February 1881.
The other signatories were:
George Bomford of Oakley Park,
Christopher Armitage Nicholson of Balrath,
Thomas Rothwell of Rockfield,
John Keating of Cabra,
John Tisdall of Charlesfort,
John Radcliff of Wilmount,
and John Ringwood, M.D. of Kenlis Lodge.

The deed was witnessed by Thomas R. Lynch, solicitor and George E. Radcliff, Manager of the Hibernian Bank, Kells.

He is also on the Warrant of Lough Crew Lodge, No. 252, and was the first Master of the Lodge in 1877.


He married Frances Georgina Barnes in 1876 and the had one child Hester Frances. She married Alfred Hubert Marshall in 1908. They took the name 'Marshall-Barnes' in 1912 when they inherited Westlands farm. They had three daughters. Alfred was in the RAMC in World War 1 but was killed in action in 1916.

Close this window and return to previous.

Valid XHTML 1.0!